Mike Kreager, the founder of the firm, is a business attorney and is board certified in tax law, having practiced in San Antonio for more than 40 years. He advises private companies, individuals and non-profit organizations on business and tax law matters. In addition, Mike represents physician practices and other medical providers, medical facilities and medical device companies.
The Texas Medical Association published two of Mike’s books: (1) Employment Contracts for Physicians: The Comprehensive Guide, in its third edition (2018) and (2) What’s My Practice Worth – A Comprehensive Guide to Practice Valuations and Sales (2016.) The books are valued resources to the medical community and allow physicians to meet their minimum continuing medical education requirements.
Mike’s article on Texas physician covenants not to compete is generally considered to be the definitive work on the topic. The article is published in the Baylor Law Review in volume 61, pages 357-541. The article has been cited in Texas court cases, appellate briefs and other secondary materials. Mike speaks often at continuing education programs on business, tax and physician-related topics.
Mike obtained two cutting edge private letter rulings from the Internal Revenue Service, opening new solutions for his clients. Private Letter Ruling 200226045, April 2, 2002, permitting the partial defeasance of an irrevocable charitable lead annuity trust. Private Letter Ruling 201446025, April 20, 2104, permitting the conversion of a public charity from a Texas corporation to an Arizona corporation without the necessity of filing a new exemption application.
During his career, Mike has been active in the San Antonio community, serving on the boards of numerous charitable organizations, including serving as board chair of BioBridge Global, the San Antonio Medical Foundation, the San Antonio Chapter of the American Red Cross and the South Texas Blood & Tissue Foundation.
Visit our Publications Page to Read Articles by Mike Kreager
Board Certified Tax Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Lead Attorney in:
- Purchase of the Minnesota Vikings Football Club and affiliated entities (1998).
- Sale of the Minnesota Vikings Football Club (2005).
- Formation and financing of Circuit of Americas Formula 1 racing enterprise in Austin, Texas.
- Sale of Austin, Texas television station to publicly held media holding company.
- Sale of assets of international cold storage facility to private equity and partial rollover of equity.
- General counsel to medical device company with European clinical trials.
- Sale of multi-city tax lien finance business to a publicly traded financial services company.
- Organization and commercial loan financing of a 1,000-mile midstream pipeline company.
- Sale of multi-state pet food distribution business to private equity and partial rollover of equity.
- Purchases and sales of numerous automotive dealerships.
- Sale of multi-city residential and commercial refuse collection business to public company.
- Sales of medical specialty practices in oncology, ophthalmology, gastroenterology/endoscopy, dermatology, pathology, obstetrics/gynecology and orthopedic surgery to a national management companies and hospital system.
- Formation of physician-hospital system joint venture for acute care hospital.
- Formation of largest physician-owned anesthesiology practice in multiple Texas cities.
- Sale of multi-site ambulatory surgery centers owned 160 physicians to large hospital system.
Honors and Awards:
- Johnson, Bromberg, Leed & Riggs Award, Outstanding Student in Corporation & Finance Law, Southern Methodist University
- 2019 Best Lawyers in America ® “Lawyer of the Year” in Health Care Law (San Antonio)
- 2005-2021 Named among the Best Lawyers in America® in Health Care and Corporate Law by Best Lawyers, U.S. News, and World Report
- 2007-2021 Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers for Health Care and Corporate Law by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers
- 2021 Named among the Best Lawyers in America® in Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- The Physician’s right in 15.50 (b) To Buy out a Covenant Not to Compete in Texas, 61 Baylor Law Review, pages 357-541 (2009), link to article here: https://slidex.tips/download/the-physician-s-right-in-1550b-to-buy-out-a-covenant-not-to-compete-in-texas Cited in, among other publications: (A) Greenville Surgery Center, Limited v. Beebe, 320 S.W. 3d 853, Tex. App.-Dallas (2010), (b) Texas Jurisprudence 3d Healing Arts and Institutions §50, Contractual Agreements Affecting the Right to Practice-Covenant Not to Compete (2015), and (C) Non-Compete Clauses and Physician Employment Contracts Are Bad for Our Health, 14 Hawaii Business Journal 79 (2011).
- Employment Contracts for Physicians: The Comprehensive Guide, 283 pages (2019) (Third Edition), Texas Medical Association, available for purchase here: https://texmed.inreachce.com/Details/Information/61dbd033-c47f-4225-9e77-60f76b4da52e
- What’s My Practice Worth? A Comprehensive Guide to Practice Valuation and Sales, 328 pages (2016), Texas Medical Association Available for purchase here https://texmed.inreachce.com/Details/Information/536b5b9e-002e-422e-82a4-b0ba9b2caef0
- The Physician’s First Employment Contract: A Guide to Understanding and Negotiating a Physician Employment Contract…from the Employee Physician’s Perspective, 70 pages, copyright 2018, self-published. A copy can be printed for free from this website under this section, Healthcare Law Overview.
- CPOM: Where Money & Physician Judgement Collide, pg. 19, San Antonio Medicine: http://bcms.org/SAM/2019/SAMOct2019/mobile/index.html#p=18
- Sanctity of Contracts – http://bcms.org/SAM/2020/SAMJune2020/mobile/index.html#p=19
- Physicians Read Your Employment Contracts before Signing It: Here’s Why – http://bcms.org/SAM/2020/SAMSept2020/mobile/index.html#p=26
- Getting Paid for Your Practice at Retirement – https://kreagermitchell.com/getting-paid-for-your-practice-at-retirement/
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Texas.
- San Antonio Bar Association.
- American Bar Association.
- American Health Lawyers Association.
- Medical Group Management Association.
- San Antonio Chamber of Commerce.
- BioBridge Global. Board of Directors, 1994-Present; Board Chair, 1998-2006 and 2015-2019.
- San Antonio Medical Foundation, Board of Trustees, 1999-Present; Board Chair, 2007-2009.
- Institutional Review Board, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Community Member, 1989-2009.
- American Red Cross (San Antonio Chapter), Chapter Chair, 1996-1997; 2003-2004; Board of Directors, 1991-1998 and 2000-2006.
- San Antonio Bar Foundation, 1999-Present.
- City of Terrell Hills, Board of Adjustments, 2003-2006.
- The Blood & Tissue Center Foundation, Co-Chair; Board of Directors, 2003-Present; Co-Chair, 2003-2004.
- Sunshine Cottage School for the Deaf, Board of Directors, 2004-2005.
- Sunshine Cottage Scholarship Foundation, 2008-Present; Chair 2013-Present.
- Bexar County Medical Society Foundation, Board of Directors, 2003-2009.
- San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind, Board of Directors and Executive Committee, 2000-2003.
- San Antonio Wellness Coalition, Board of Directors, 2011-2015.
- President’s Council, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio.
- Golden Circle, Texas Biomedical Research.
- Chancellor’s Council, UT System.